Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Hey Everybody, This is Ted & Annette Fleming

Title has nothing to do with today's post, sorry. Just watched Ghostbusters on television last night and that line tickled me.

Loved the long weekend, but it went by waaay too fast. Because I did nothing but sleep. Again. (See the pattern emerging?)

Actually, that's not entirely true, I went to my friend's Saturday night. Little drinking, little dining, little female bonding --- fabulous. I wish I could make a living doing that, just kind of hanging out chatting and drinking some nice wine and eating some delicious cheese. I haven't seen any want ads for that, yet, but I'm gonna keep looking. I think it'd be under the "Socialite" column.....

But, the topic at hand is: Does the universe deliver? Does it listen with an uncritical ear and present you with what you've asked for? More to the point, is the universe a literal thinker?

I believe the answer to that is, Yes. The universe is literal, and that's part of its sense of humor, so you'd damn well better be careful about what you're asking for. Like the genie who always finds a way to screw up your wishes (anybody else see that episode of The Twilight Zone? The Man in the Bottle?), the universe will not distinguish between your true desires and the negative loop you're running in your head 24/7. And from experience I can say that that loop isn't really yours, more likely a parent's or an ex-lover's or somesuch. Well, they've had their life to live, and this one's yours, so stop forcing yourself into their tired mold. It never fit you that well, anyway.

So, let's be careful what we wish for, kids. Let's not affirm being friendless and poverty stricken; let's affirm finding the job of our dreams (Socialite, anyone?) and the love of our lives and everything else that's good and holy.

And remember, thinking to yourself that this is simplistic bullshit is still affirming, just not affirming something that'd really make you happy. I'm really tired of how our society presents being positive as being naive, while being negative and a real bummer is being "realistic" and "edgy". Fuck that. If being Pollyanna is gonna make me happy, you'd better start calling me Polly

Won't bother me any; I'll be sitting with my friends, eating cheese and drinking wine.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gawd, I loved this! Especially this:
the universe will not distinguish between your true desires and the negative loop your running in your head 24/7

I totally needed to hear/read this today and I thank you for saying it so well!

QZB said...

Wow, thank you for that. I was just writing something I needed to
hear, so I'm amazed that it's striking some other people's chords...