Thursday, February 24, 2005

Dog People vs. Cat People

I realized today that there are dog people, and there are cat people. No, not which animal one prefers, but how you relate to other people.

For example, my husband and his family are "dog" people. Always metaphorically sniffing each other's bottoms, gettin' up in each other's business, establishing the hierarchy. Dog people.

My family is quintessentially "cat". We're affectionate, but aloof; we'll swat you when we're playing; we just wanna be comfortable and not bothered too much.

Ever see a couple of cats when they're not getting along? Turn their backs and studiously ignore each other: "I can't see you. If I can't see you, I don't have to fight with you." That's us.

Scott's family will just start barking, stirring stuff up because, well, what else is there to do? They get each other all riled up then they go look for something to eat, because it never meant anything in the first place.

The joke around my family is that we won't stand if we can sit, and we won't sit if we can lay down. Lounging is our pastime and our passion, and we take it about as seriously as we take anything. We just don't get all those dogs running around barking.

"Whatever," thinks the cat. "Too much ado about nothing. Hey, dog, get me a drink while you're up."

There are some drawbacks to this approach, however. No one in my family will say shit if they have a mouthful, no one will tell you when you are royally fucking up, no one will tell you when you're making a first-rate arse of yourself.

On the other hand, Scott's family will talk you to death --- because they care. Sigh.

There has to be a compromise somewhere. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I have proof that dogs and cats can live together. Maybe not harmoniously, but they can live together.