Monday, February 14, 2005

Boring Post Today, Kids

I have been doing absolutely nothing for the past four days besides eating and sleeping. I decided to attack the insomnia problem with both barrels while I had a long weekend to sleep, and so have been taking my prescription every night. So now I'm sleeping 'til three or four in the afternoon. Scott brings me something to eat, then I take a nap. Honestly, the life of Reilly.

And despite being so sedentary, I did meet my weight loss goal for the month, hurrah! Of course, I was so focused on meeting yesterday's goal I sort of forgot that there's another one after that,and another one after that, and another one after that.....

What I can't understand is why no one ever told me about breaking the big goal down into smaller, more manageable goals, as relates to losing weight. Maybe it was just assumed? Maybe I'm just too plank stupid to figure it out? Maybe (and this is probably waaaaay closer to the truth) I wasn't ready to hear the message before now? Oooooh, right.

I've been reading Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way. (Some of the girls at work are getting a group together, just one of the non-work-related benefits of working with the cool people who gravitate to the non-profit sector...) Anyway, writing the morning pages has been really great for reasons I can't even define. I'm writing down a lot of things I'd probably be griping at my husband for, stuff that he has absolutely no control over, so we're not having those stupid little arguments that tend, for us, to blow up into big ones.

(Ok, I know what you're thinking: Quinnbee, you are sleeping 16 hours per day, how could you and your husband possibly get into an argument when you are, for all intents and purposes, comatose?

Well, I'll tell ya, if anyone could, we could. Arguing is like a hobby for us. It usually doesn't mean anything, and one of us usually has the good sense to back down or make a joke, but we really will argue about anything. We once had a knock-down-drag-out about Wittgenstein, and I don't even know who that is!)

Anyway, the topic at hand was being ready to hear the message. So I'm doing some work on that, and I'll let you know how it goes. I guess I'm really no different than anyone else; I want to be of use, I want to get things figured out, I want to get along in this world. Isn't it great we have all these communities available to do that? 'Rah!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm writing down a lot of things I'd probably be griping at my husband for, stuff that he has absolutely no control over, so we're not having those stupid little arguments that tend, for us, to blow up into big ones.This is what I've found useful about internet life. I can rant and rave about things that would drive Christopher bugfuck and I'm usually human when I return.

It helps me work out issues that I know I have little control over.