Monday, March 07, 2005

Heads Up

Well, this is going to be a hell of a week.

As I've mentioned, oh about one hundred times, I am working on The Artist's Way. This week, my task is to avoid reading. Also, no surfing the net, watching television, or --- oh, no --- blogging.

I'll really miss jotting down my little thoughts, browsing on ebay, and spending long evenings with my friend, my confidant, my loooover --- television. But not like I'm gonna miss reading.

I've been reading since I was three, when my older sister, in desperation, taught me that C-A-T = "cat". I thought to myself, "That's easy!" and never looked back. My point is, I am always reading. When I'm between books, I read the cereal boxes. Like that.

Ironically, the sole time in my life that I stopped reading was when I was working in a bookstore. Sort of like when I was working in the restaurant, I stopped eating; I simply could not tolerate the written word outside of work. Apart from that, I've always prided myself on my big brain and my big vocabulary and my voracious reading habits. Hell, I once read two Stephen King novels (the appetizer and salad) and A Fine Balance in one day. And was kind of hungry for more.

So how ya gonna keep them out of the library when they've been to gay Par-ree? I don't know. But the theory, I think, is that by reducing the distraction of other people's creativity I'll be able to concentrate on my own.

Who knows, I might only last a day. I might get so bored I actually do all the exercises for the week. I might sign up for those dance classes. I might do the laundry. (Really! I might even get that bored!)

I might even come up with some good stories for you. Meet me back here in a week and I'll let you know how it went.

1 comment:

LeaDFW said...

Noooooooooo!

It's all well and good for you to get all enlightened and shit, but what are WE supposed to do while you're doing it?!

Bad Quinbee, BAD!