Thursday, May 19, 2005

If I Were...I Would Be...

If I were a dessert, I would be big enough to share.

If I were an alcoholic beverage, I would be champagne.

If I were a type of music, I would be Rasputina or Red Priest.

If I were a color, I would be orange-fuscia swirl.

If I were a fruit, I would be a ripe, juicy peach.

If I were an animal, I would be a Chihuahua.

If I were a story, I would be written by Angela Carter.

If I were a car, I would be a Karmann Ghia.

If I were a poem, I would be The Heavy Bear Who Goes With Me by Delmore Schwartz.

If I were a bird, I would be a Grackle.**

If I were a city, I would be Prague.

If I were an article of clothing, I would be flip flops.

If I were the weather, I would be a summer storm.

If I were a plant, I would be a passion flower.

If I were a planet, I would be Saturn.

If I were a tree, I would be a flowering cherry.

If I were a fabric, I would be cashmere.

If I were a work of art, I would be a Redon.

If I were a book, I would be Precious Bane by Mary Webb.

If I were an emotion, I would be worry.

If I were an insect, I would be the queen bee.

If I were a song, I would be Surrounded by Chantal Kreviazuk.

If I were a fictional character, I would be Prue Sarn.

If I were a season, I would be autumn.

If I were an instrument, I would be an accordion.

If I were lingerie, I would be cabaret stripe thigh high stockings, clinging to my garters.

If I were a movie, I would be Harold & Maude.

If I were a musical, I would be Gigi.

If I were a criminal act, I would be the long con.


**THE GRACKLE

   Ogden Nash
p.1942
====================

The grackle's voice is less than mellow,
His heart is black, his eye is yellow,
He bullies more attractive birds
With hoodlum deeds and vulgar words,
And should a human interfere,
Attacks that human in the rear.
I cannot help but deem the grackle
An ornithological debacle.

3 comments:

QZB said...

All credit for this cleverness goes to Tart at the BPAL forum. You are a genius. --- quinnbee

LeaDFW said...

I love this -- can't wait to sit down and give it a try, although mine won't be nearly as clever and amusing as yours. Never read the grackle poem before, but now I adore it! Thanks, again, for broadening my horizons!

QZB said...

I have to change my song choice. Because, as much as I love "Surrounded", it just more the Quinn who was than the Quinn who is today.

So I'm updating to Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue". Which is actually I song I never really liked at all until recently.

Like the "real Quinn", it is tentative and quiet, then turns into a loud braggart, with big, blowsy, show-us-your-tits moments, but it always retains a certain optimism.

And that's really me; a little class, a little trash, with a touch of sentimentality thrown in for good measure.

And it's my blog, so I can do what I want. : P

If you haven't done your list yet, I'd still love to see it!