Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Avoid PayPal Plus Credit Card

Just had a "delightful" experience with my PayPal Plus credit card. Despite the fact that I pay early every month, and my last payment was $1000, the collections department of my PayPal Plus credit card saw fit to call me this morning for a "past due" payment of $41.

I had just looked at my account last night to update my address from our most recent move and noticed at that time that a payment of $41 was due on 9/11/07. So why did I receive a collections call? I have absolutely no idea, and the woman calling me was so intent to bust me for my "late payment" that she never took the time to sort it out for me, either. She kept insisting that I had been receiving electronic statements for the past several months. Well, I checked my email and haven't received ANYTHING from them since May. This struck her as being, clearly, an outright lie, and she made it plain that this outrageous "over due" balance of $41 would NOT be tolerated.

I then asked her if I could just receive paper statements to avoid any confusion in future. She replied, as if I were a child, that she could do it "just this once", lecturing me on my responsibility to read my statement and make my payments on time (!).

At this point I asked to speak with a supervisor, but she said that SHE was empowered to do whatever needed done at this point and refused to comply with my request. After repeated requests to speak with a supervisor, I finally gave up and hung up, calling back on the 800 line and immediately requesting a supervisor, who was frankly little better than their so called "customer service".

Needless to say, I have closed this account.

I would strongly advise anyone who falls into customer service, particularly telephone support, to leave your ego at home. This job is not about you and your power trips; it's about retaining customers.

Companies, please do a little better to hire the people who should actually be in the field of customer service, and pay the good ones to stay. A good CSR will make you money hand over fist; a bad one will cost you.

And consumers? My advice to you is to stay away from PayPal Plus.

1 comment:

Beth said...

PayPal needs to get their act together because they are doing the same thing to me right now! I suggest that anyone who runs into a problem report them on this wonderful website that I found, and maybe something can be done about them. It is: www.ripoffreport.com
There are so many similar reports to yours and mine that it makes me sick to think that they will call you 10 to 15 times a day over a measly $41, $76 (or whatever the amount may be). I should know how they are so rude too b/c I have spoken to 7 diff. people about a bill that I have ALREADY paid that they have slapped me with Late Fees, and Returned check fees b/c they say they didn't get it. And the bad part is they say they don't get my faxes, or my letters either!! What a hoot! Trust me people Stay AWAY from this company!!! They will Screw You.